Crediton Hamlets is a large Civil Parish in the Mid-Devon District extending southwards and westwards from the town of Crediton. It is bounded to the west by the parish of Hittisleigh and extends eastwards to a boundary with the parish of Newton St. Cyres. Crediton Hamlets is largely agricultural and relatively sparsely populated, with about 1000 persons on the Electoral Register. The largest centre of population is Yeoford, with smaller settlements at Binneford, Neopardy, Gunstone, Posbury, Uton, Salmonhutch, Hollacombe, Venny Tedburn, Hookway and Barnstaple Cross. It also includes a small part of the Crediton conurbation at Westernlea. The Parish supports a primary school at Yeoford, and there are chapels at Yeoford and Posbury. Transport links in the Parish are mostly by road: public transport by bus is very limited, although there is a rail station in Yeoford with frequent services to Barnstaple and Exeter. The principle industry in the Parish is farming, with arable cultivation predominating in the red soil area in the northern part of the Parish, and pasture in the stony clays to the south, where there are also considerable tracts of woodland. In former times, stone for buildings and roads was worked from a number of sites: the large disused quarry at Posbury Clump furnished stone used in building Crediton Parish Church and is now designated a geological Site of Special Scientific Interest. Leisure interests are served by a number of equine centres, a golf course to the east of Crediton and coarse fishing facilities at Salmonhutch. At Yeoford, there is a substantial, modern village hall, which serves as a centre for community activities.